Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Dr. Seuss/Read Across America Ideas

I love to spend over two weeks in the month of March reading a different Dr. Seuss book to my students each day.  After reading one of the books, I have them do some type of fun activity!

I like to begin by talking about who Dr. Seuss was.  I go through my "Who Was Dr. Seuss" Anchor Charts that I made!






















Here are just some of the Dr. Seuss activities we do after reading each book:

Green Eggs and Ham

After reading the book Green Eggs and Ham we used these charts to graph our responses to the following questions:



Instead of making actual green eggs and ham I made these cookies that looked like green eggs and ham.  I didn't show the cookies to the students until after they answered the question if they would like to try green eggs and ham.  They thought they would be eating actual green eggs and ham.  They were shocked and excited to see it was a cookie.  LOL



The Cat in the Hat


The students used their pictures to make themselves into Thing 1 and Thing 2!



Mr. Cat Comes Back!


I always love to read the Dr. Seuss book: The Cat in the Hat Comes Back the day after reading the original version.  Here are some of the different activity pages I have my students complete after we read the book...

Activity 1: Comparing the two stories using a Venn Diagram
Activity 2: Writing Prompt: How would you remove the ring from the bathtub?
Activity 3: Comprehension Crossword Puzzle
Activity 4: Word Search


Click HERE to download these activities!

Feet, Feet, Feet!


The Foot Book is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books!  There are so many great lessons and activities you can pair with this book!  After reading The Foot Book to my students we cover antonyms, adjectives, non-standard/standard measurement, skip counting, etc! 

Here is a look into some of the fun activities we do...

I like to teach a quick mini lesson on what antonyms are.  We use the brain storm chart together as a class to think of words that are antonyms.  I have the students complete the Antonym Foot Match worksheet as a quick assessment.

For a fun antonym activity, I give each student a pair of feet with one word written on one of the feet.  They have to think of the antonym to that word and write it on the other foot.  Finally, they illustrate what each word means.



I displayed the antonym feet on a large foot that I made out of butcher paper on my classroom door!



I like to place these activity at my literacy centers... 

For this activity, the students match the pair of antonym feet!

Here the students sort each flip flop depending on if it goes on the left or right foot.

I also like to review adjectives with my students using The Foot Book.  I like to slip in a quick review lesson on adjectives anytime I can since they can be so difficult for some first graders to understand! 
Here we review what an adjective is and brain storm adjectives that describe feet.  We fill in the foot chart together as a class.  Finally, I divide my students into small groups and give each group a copy of The Foot Book.  They work together to find adjectives in the book.  They record their answers on the worksheet.


For a fun non-standard measurement activity I have each student trace and cut out their foot.  They measure their foot using cubes, paper clips, and pennies.  They record their answers on their worksheet! 

This is another great non-standard measurement activity. I place long strips of masking tape on the floor of my classroom.  The students use their feet to measure the length of each line and record it on their worksheet.  After everyone is finished we discuss what answers each student got and why everyone got different answers.

 
Here is an example of a tape strip on the floor for the students to measure.

After we discuss why everyone got different answers we then discuss the actual foot measurement on a ruler.  I pass out a ruler to each student and they work together to measure each tape strip in actual feet for the second time around.  When everyone is finished we share our answers and discuss why everyone got the same answers now.

Here are some skip counting worksheets I like to place at my math centers. 


Click HERE to download these activities!

Fox in Socks

After reading this book we talked about what Synonyms are.  The students then wrote a pair of synonyms on their pair of socks and illustrated what the words mean.


The Lorax

After reading the book, we went through these story element Truffula Trees!  Then, each student made a poster on how we can take care of the Earth.














Horton Hears a Who

After reading the book, the students pretended they were a Who living in Whoville and wrote a Thank You letter to Horton.  They also made this fun elephant craft.


I also had my students complete the following Venn Diagrams.


Click HERE to download these activities!


Up, Up, and Away We Go!



After reading the Dr. Seuss book: Oh, the Places You'll Go!  I have my students create a hot air balloon and suitcase craft.  Each one has a writing prompt that the students answer and attach to their craft.

For the hot air balloon craft the students pick one of the following writing prompts to write about....
Prompt #1: If I could go anywhere, I would want to go to... 
Prompt #2:  If I could be anything when I grow up, I would want to be a...


Underneath the hot air balloon is the student's writing.


Using silly students pictures would be super cute!

For the luggage craft, the students pick one of the following writing prompts to write about....
Prompt #1: Where I want to go...Why I want to go there...What I'm bringing with me...
Prompt #2:  Who I want to meet...Why I want to meet them...What I would bring them...

The suitcase has a luggage tag with the student's name on it.

The writing prompts are glued inside the suitcase!



Click HERE to download these activities!

The Alphabet Book Activities

 
After reading Dr. Seuss's ABC Book to my students, I have them complete the following activities...

Parts of Speech Word Search
For this activity, the students look for nouns, verbs, adjectives, and Dr. Seuss's original words in the ABC Book.

Class Alphabet Book
I assign each student a letter.  They think of a word that starts with that letter and fill in their page.  Each student shares their page with the class as we add it to our class book!

A through Z Scavenger Hunt

The students walk around the classroom to find items that start with each letter of the alphabet.  They write the word on their recording page.  I always like to make this a challenge with my students.  We like to see who can find the most words!

Literacy Center Work

I place this worksheet at a literacy center.  The students think of their own letter and words to complete their page.


The students also complete this letter match activity at their center.


Click HERE to download these activities!


MOO! MOO! Onomatopoeia Activities for YOU!


The Dr. Seuss book: Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? is filled with lots of different onomatopoeias. I use this book as a fun way to teach a mini lesson on what an onomatopoeia is and to also review what a noun, verb, and adjective is.

Before reading the book I teach a quick mini lesson on what an onomatopoeia is.

After reading the book, I have the students give me some of the examples of the onomatopoeias they heard in the book.  I list all their examples on our Brain Storm T-Chart.


Then, as a class we complete the puzzle by matching the different sounds with what makes the sound.


We then create an onomatopoeia class book where each student completes the writing prompt:
I can go ____ like a/an _____

I have each student share their page when they are done and we add it to our class book!


Finally, we review the different parts of speech and sort the words on each hat. 


I have each student complete this worksheet independently at their desk.


Here is another chart I've made to review the different parts of speech.



Click HERE to download these activities!


To end our fun week of Dr. Seuss activities we ate these yummy Cat in the Hat cookies!  The hat cookie cutters were made out of a large metal can.  The can was shaped and the edges were sanded to make the cookie cutter.



11 comments:

  1. Green egg and hams cookies. Wonderful idea! They came out really cute. I love the antonym and synonym activity and that that the pair is attached to each other. Thanks for sharing pictures.
    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Seuss ideas! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I am your newest follower :)

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute activities! I'm your newest follower :)


    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and now I am your newest follower!
    I followed a pic from pinterest to over here now I am off to explore the rest of your lovely!

    I would love for you to visit my blog and follow me too!

    Shuna P
    Pocket Full of Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda,

    Wow, I LOVE all of your fun Dr. Seuss Activities! What great ideas! I am definitely going to have to use some of these next year!! Thanks for sharing! So glad I found your blog and I am now following you too! :)

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, so I am blowing up your comments! But I wanted you to know that I just presented you with an award on my blog! Come on over to check it out!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any downloads for this Unit??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have the documents for Horton Hears a Who? I want to use this activity for my 2nd graders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just added it to my TpT store. :)

      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Horton-and-the-Who-Craft-and-Writing-Prompt-1748822

      Delete
  9. Are the templates for the foot book antonym activity available? thank you! Love these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, here is the link:
      https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Antonym-Feet-to-use-with-The-Foot-Book-by-Dr-Seuss-3032467
      Thanks!

      Delete